Journaling is a writing or creative practice, which involves documenting reflections, ideas and feelings; often in relation to specific occurrences in that person’s life.
The Advantages and Disadvantages
One of the most commonly reported benefits of journaling is that it helps to refine thoughts. In fact, experts say it is also a very effective problem solving tool—as oftentimes we can find solutions to certain problems just from writing them on paper.
Now, one of the noted drawbacks of journaling, is that sometimes individuals tend to focus too much on negative experiences, which could end up causing more stress in that person’s life. However, once it is used in a positive way, experts say journaling can be a very beneficial practice—it is often used as a tool in coaching and psychologists say journaling is still a very useful and effective exercise for self-reflection and discovery.
Some Basic Tips for Journaling:
1. Purchase an actual journal. Depending on our needs, you can get one that is durable or choose one that will inspire you everyday. Also, reserve a pen that you’ll use specifically for journaling.
2. Decide on a time where you’ll journal each day. You may decide to journal in the morning or during an afternoon coffee break. Another good time is at night as you wind down to retire for bed. Yet, you may also choose to keep a small journal with you all the time to jot down ideas as they come.
3. Journal following meditation. Since meditation is one way in which we elicit the relaxation response, journaling can be effective in clarifying your thoughts following meditation and/or after your daily devotion.
4. Jot down what you are inspired to write. This may be a revelation, a thought, a unique occurrence, something learned in quiet study, or even some creative writing.
5. Read your journal entries every now and then. Being reminded of how far you’ve come may provide some motivation. It may even inspire you to step out on faith regarding something you have always envisioned to do.
*Disclosure: This page contains affiliate links that allow me to earn a small commission, that is of no extra cost to you. I only share links to other products/services that I think my readers will find useful.
Kaysha Sahai Reid is the designer of the products you find on this site. She spends a bit of each day managing this part-time studio, which originally began with jewelry and has extended to other scopes, including home accessories. Yet she also has an enthusiasm for holistic living. A certified meditation teacher, Kaysha Sahai fervently sets out to encourage individuals in making moments for themselves, despite their busy or hectic schedules. She shares mostly on the significance of stillness and self-care.
To make the most of your me-time, get started with a FREE subscription to Stillness e-magazine series below.