The following is a simple recipe for Caribbean-style salt fish fritters (salted cod fish fritters) with shrimp.
- 2 stalks of scallion
- 1/2 bell pepper
- 1/2 medium onion or 1 small onion
- 1/8 tsp of scotch bonet pepper (optional)
- 6 ounces of salted cod fish (de-boned)
- 2-3 ounces of cooked shrimp (coarsely chopped)
- 2 cups of flour
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups water
- pinch of brown sugar
- salt (optional)
- coconut or vegetable oil
- Place salted cod fish in a saucepan covered with water. Boil for 5 minutes and cool.
- Chop scallions, bell pepper, onion and scotch bonet pepper.
- Flake the salt fish into smaller pieces.
- Add salt fish, cooked shrimp, chopped ingredients, black pepper, salt, sugar, flour and water to a bowl and mix together to form a batter.
- Heat oil in a frying pan.
- Spoon batter into pan and fry until golden brown.
Learn more about our home accessories line at:
Jerk chicken is a well-known Jamaican dish that is loved by many islanders, as well as people in other parts of the world.
The Jamaican jerk chicken recipe is pretty standard. The word jerk refers to the method in which the meat is seasoned. This process usually involves marinating the meat in a spicy paste that typically consists of scotch bonnet peppers, allspice, thyme, scallions, garlic, brown sugar, and salt.
However, these days, making the paste from scratch is no longer necessary, as there are many authentic ready-made jerk seasonings and marinades on the market.
So here’s a simple Jamaican jerk chicken recipe that incorporates a ready-made paste:
- Your favorite Jerk Chicken Seasoning
- 1 Whole Chicken
- Lime Juice
- Fresh Scallions (optional)
- Fresh Thyme (optional)
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
- Thoroughly clean and cut-up chicken, and then rinse with lime juice.
- In a bowl, add a small amount of jerk seasoning and gently rub it into chicken. For best results, cover and marinate overnight in the refrigerator.
- Slow cook on the grill or preheat oven to 350 degrees, cover with foil in a pan and roast in the oven with a little fresh scallions and thyme for approximately 1 hr and 15 minutes or until the meat is no longer pink from the bone.
- Serve with rice and/or vegetables. Enjoy!
Check out our home accessories, including our kitchen and dining pieces: