Cocoa tea is basically a Caribbean version of hot cocoa. Traditionally, to make this hot chocolate, the cocoa beans are roasted, and afterward grounded and rolled into a stick. This is then grated into a cocoa powder, which ends up being the feature ingredient of the cocoa tea.
However, for the recipe below, note that any powdered cocoa or cocao (preferably organic) will still make you a delicious hot chocolate drink.
- 1/3 cup of grated or powdered cocoa
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- dash of nutmeg
- brown sugar
- nip of salt
- 1 1/2 cups of water
- 1/2 cup of coconut milk
- 1 cup of almond or whole milk
- 1 bay leaf (optional)
Cocoa tea recipe:
- Bring water, cocoa, nutmeg, vanilla, cinnamon and bay leaf to boil in a medium saucepan.
- Stir in coconut milk and your choice of either almond or whole milk.
- Sweeten with brown sugar to taste, and then add a tiny amount of salt.
- Continue to simmer mixture on low heat for a minute or two.
- Strain into your favorite mug and enjoy your cocoa tea!
Check-out some of our kitchen & dining pieces for sale on Zazzle:
Learn more about our home accessories line: